Who are we?
We are NoDDSoc, short for Not Only Dungeons and Dragons Society, the University of Sheffield’s tabletop roleplaying society. We come from all walks of life, students and non-students, veteran roleplayers and people who are new to the hobby. If you enjoy roleplaying, or even don’t know what it is and want to give it a try, come join us!
What is tabletop roleplaying?
Tabletop roleplaying is co-operative storytelling, often with the help of dice and various rulesets. People each play a character and work together to build a story, almost always with the help of a game master, who helps guide the game. Well known games are Dungeons and Dragons, Call of Cthulu, and World of Darkness, but there are hundreds more. For a more in depth explanation go here
The list of campaigns running this year will be released near the end of september, and cane be found on the Games page, and on our facebook page.
We have an extensive library of roleplaying related books and magazines for members to borrow. So if you want to run or play a game and you don’t have the rulebooks, don’t worry, as we might have a copy! Have a look at this spreadsheet to check availability.
Where and when do we meet?
We gather at the Gallery in the Students Union twice a week.
Our main campaigns run every Wednesday evening during term-time. we officially start at 7pm, but many of us start to gather from 6. We also gather at Interval after games finish to socialise with those in other games.
We also meet on Sundays at 1pm to play on-off sessions which are games designed to be played in a single day, and can be a good way to trial a system you haven’t played before.
How do I join?
There are several ways of joining the society:
- Join us at the Activities Fair during Intro Week – we’ll be signing up members and handing out free dice at our stall
- Join us at our Give It a Go Session during Intro Week on Wednesday 25th September at 1pm. This is also a good time to try your hand at roleplaying and see if you like it.
- Join us at our Sunday taster session during on Sunday 29th September at 1pm. This is another opportunity to try out roleplaying.
- Join us for our first meeting on Wednesday 2nd October, or following Wednesdays and Sunday sessions.
We do allow people to try their hand at our taster sessions and the first couple of sessions before paying for membership, to ensure you enjoy it.
Membership is £3. For this you recieve:
- A year’s membership in NoDDSoc and access to Wednesday and Sunday sessions.
- Access to our library of roleplaying books which you can borrow.
- Access to and advance notification for a range of roleplaying game events organised by NoDDSoc. We sometimes do run charity events where there is an extra cost that goes towards our supported charities.
- Discounts with local Sheffield gaming stores, Patriot Games and Wargames Emporium
- Exclusive membership in a fun and friendly community of like-minded roleplayers in a safe and convenient environment for all