Who are we?
We are NoDDSoc, short for Not Only Dungeons and Dragons Society, the University of Sheffield’s tabletop roleplaying society. We come from all walks of life, students and non-students, veteran roleplayers and people who are new to the hobby. If you enjoy roleplaying, or even don’t know what it is and want to give it a try, come join us!
What is tabletop roleplaying?
Tabletop roleplaying is co-operative storytelling, often with the help of dice and various rulesets. People each play a character and work together to build a story, almost always with the help of a game master, who helps guide the game. Well known games are Dungeons and Dragons, Call of Cthulu, and World of Darkness, but there are hundreds more. For a more in depth explanation go here
The list of campaigns running this year will be released near the end of September, and can be found on the Games page, and on our Facebook page.
We have an extensive library of roleplaying related books and magazines for members to borrow. So if you want to run or play a game and you don’t have the rulebooks, don’t worry, as we might have a copy! Have a look at this spreadsheet to check availability.
Where and when do we meet?
With the current guidelines, NoDDSoc is most likely going to be online based for the 20/21 academic year, and as such – our sessions will be handled over our Discord servers.
We typically meet every Wednesday 18:00 – 22:00 for campaigns and Sunday 12:30-18:00 for one-shots during term time. Games in the upcoming academic year will be played online via our new Games Server.
When you’re not in character feel free to hop into our Social Server, where you can chat with the rest of the society.
How do I join?
There are several ways of joining the society, dates are yet to be confirmed for the new year:
- Join us at the Activities Fair during Intro Week – we’ll be signing up members and handing out free dice at our stall
- Join us at our Give It a Go Session during Intro Week. This is also a good time to try your hand at roleplaying and see if you like it.
- Join us at our Sunday taster session. This is another opportunity to try out roleplaying.
We do allow people to try their hand at our taster sessions and the first couple of sessions before paying for membership, to ensure you enjoy it.
Membership is £3. For this you recieve:
- A year’s membership in NoDDSoc and access to Wednesday and Sunday sessions.
- Access to our library of roleplaying books which you can borrow.
- Access to and advance notification for a range of roleplaying game events organised by NoDDSoc. We sometimes do run charity events where there is an extra cost that goes towards our supported charities.
- Discounts with local Sheffield gaming stores, Patriot Games and Wargames Emporium
- Exclusive membership in a fun and friendly community of like-minded roleplayers in a safe and convenient environment for all